Friday 5 April 2013

Katie's Wrestlemania predictions

Maybe I should wait until after Smackdown to make any solid predictions, but I think any major storyline developments were made on Raw this week.

Tons of Funk & The Funkadactyls vs Team Rhodes Scholars & The Bella Twins

I found out just now that Brodus and Tensai are apparently collectively known as "Tons of Funk" now. Huh. Anyway, I love Cody and I love Damien Sandow and if it was just a tag team match between them and Tons of Funk I would put my money on The Rhodes Scholars. However, The Bella Twins have been so bitchy since their return and Cameron and Naomi, who until now haven't received any sort of promotion or attention, haven't been able to catch a break against them. Wrestlemania is The Funkadactyls time to beat The Bella Twins, whether the male Superstars have anything to do with the outcome or not. And hey, between Cody and Damien sort of splitting earlier this year and Cody's sort of romance with Kaitlyn, maybe we'll see the end of The Rhodes Scholars as a result.
Verdict: Tons of Funk and The Funkadactyls will pick up a win in what will be a very strange match.

Chris Jericho vs Fandango

I think there's a rule written down somewhere in WWE Headquarters that a Superstar cannot lose their first match ever in WWE/after returning from injury if your arrival/return has had any form of hype. Fandago's debut was promoted a lot, and he has been given screen time every week since. His first match is going to be at Wrestlemania. There is no way Fandango is losing, I don't care how fired up and talented Chris Jericho is.
Verdict: Fandango will pick up the victory, and my scorecard will read 7.


Team Hell No vs Dolph Ziggler and Big E Langston

While being dysfunctional is all apart of their dynamic, a Team Hell No break up has been coming for a long time, and I think Wrestlemania with AJ Lee at ringside (if you think she won't play a part in the outcome of the mach you haven't been paying attention) is where it'll all fall apart. I'm not too fond of the idea of Big E and Ziggy as tag champs being as they don't actually team together ever, but it would be a more interesting and realistic outcome than Team Hell No living to bicker another day, as much as I love them. 
Verdict: We'll see new Tag Team Champions, and the dissolution of Team Hell No.


Ryback vs Mark Henry

I predict that this match will bore the hell out of me. Both Ryback and Mark Henry have zero mic skills and rely on brute strength to win their matches, and it has made for a completely uninteresting lead up.
Verdict: I don't care. But if I have to decide, Mark Henry.

Wade Barrett vs The Miz

I feel genuinely bad for these guys being bumped to the pre-show when the large rhythmic tomatoes get a spot on the main card. The Intercontinental Championship is a great title held by great people, and in keeping with that I think Barrett and Miz will put on a great match. This is a hard one for me. I think the fact that it's on the pre-show may affect the result in favor of the champion, but my prediction is based mostly on the fact that this program has only been going for a couple of weeks, and doesn't have enough hype to be over after Wrestlemania. Because of that, this match could end several ways; if Barrett is to retain, I think it will only be under sketchy circumstances, i.e him getting disqualified, counted out, or cheating. However I think another outcome is more likely.
Verdict: The Miz will win, but Barrett will definitely be using his rematch clause soon.

Orton, Sheamus and Big Show vs The Shield

This is a hard one to call. The Shield do need to be stopped at some point, and the team of Orton, Sheamus and Big Show have been pushed and portrayed as the ones who can do it much more than Ryback or Cena were. However, I think the key factor in this match is Randy Orton. It's no secret that Orton has wanted to turn heel for a while now, and has been unfortunately stuck with the job of making the young guys look better. My prediction here is that Orton will turn on Sheamus and Big Show, and be revealed as the mastermind behind The Shield. This would be amazing, and yes it is optimistic to think this will happen, but I have a feeling. Either way, my moneys on The Shield.
Verdict: The Shield will be victorious, with or without Orton's help.


Alberto Del Rio vs Jack Swagger


To be honest, I really don't care an awful lot about this match. I'm not too fond of Del Rio as champion so maybe that's it, but I haven't really been into this whole feud. As much as I would love Jack Swagger to be champion because he's a great superstar and he deserves it, I'm honestly not fussed whether he wins this match or not. I feel like he'll get another shot soon if he loses, especially with Zeb Colter in the picture. Alberto Del Rio just hasn't held the championship long enough or beaten enough competitors to be considered a good champion, and if WWE is wanting to push that he is, Alberto will retain at Wrestlemania.
Verdict: My money's on Alberto Del Rio to retain his championship... for now.


Triple H vs Brock Lesnar


The prediction I'm most confident in for this match is that Shawn Michaels and Paul Heyman will definitely get involved, and a referee will definitely get knocked out. The main factor here is that if Triple H loses, that's it. And while I do believe his time for retirement is coming soon, I don't think it's now, because I just can't see WWE letting Brock Lesnar being the one that ends Triple H's storied career. With Shawn Michaels, they gave the honor to The Undertaker, which made sense and it was fair and it was a great way for him to go out. However, as HBK pointed out on Raw, Lesnar doesn't have respect for Triple H, and therefore I really doubt that such a legendary career will be ended by someone who simply doesn't care. Maybe if he wasn't a part time performer and was someone of the likes of CM Punk, a heel who is main event caliber, and WWE wanted to give him an extra push, maybe then Triple H would lose. But being that his opponent is Lesnar, I don't think he will.
Verdict: Triple H's career lives to fight another day (or year).


The Undertaker vs CM Punk

I have literally never questioned whether Taker will win or lose at Wrestlemania; I've just always known that the streak will live on. Until now. This is the first time I've genuinely been unsure of whether Undertaker will lose at WM or not. I am so excited for this match. This is pretty much a perfect storm of the past vs the present, not to mention the amazing storyline that has played out between these two. But the result of the match doesn't depend on the position in the WWE of either man, it depends on whether WWE wants to maintain the streak or pass the torch. In my opinion, if The Undertaker beats CM Punk, he won't ever be beaten at Wrestlemania. And as much as I love CM Punk and have all the respect in the world for him, I'm okay with that. I've always always said that The Undertaker's streak will never be broken; his last match will be a victory at Wrestlemania, and the streak will live on forever. However, The Undertaker has never faced CM Punk at Wrestlemania before, and not just CM Punk, but CM Punk at the peak of his career, the ultimate heel in WWE and arguably the best superstar WWE has. This is WWE's only chance to break the streak. Punk is the perfect person to break it, and if he did, I think it would be a great way for Undertaker to bow out and pass the torch onto someone who is one day going to be as legendary as The Undertaker himself. But I just don't think that Undertaker's streak will be over after 21 years.
Verdict: The streak will live on at Wrestlemania. And it will be a mind-blowing match.


The Rock vs John Cena

I will admit, I wasn't thrilled at the idea of this match at all when Cena won the Royal Rumble and then beat Punk to keep his title shot. I was hoping for a triple threat match between Punk, Cena and Rock. But what has transpired has made me very intrigued and excited. Over the past few weeks, we've seen a side of John Cena that hasn't been seen for years. He's been aggressive, he's disrespected The Rock a little bit, he hasn't sucked up to the people as much, he's yelled a lot... I think this match will be a turning point in John Cena's career. Years from now, people will remember this match as the glorious moment when John Cena turned heel for the first time in ten years. My prediction is a little influenced by the fact that I have a great deal of disdain for The Rock at the moment, but the main reasons behind it are a) I just don't think The Rock can continue to be WWE Champion being a part-time Superstar, and b) Even WWE Creative are smart enough to know that this match will be pivotal in John Cena's career and his character. They have a huge opportunity to turn John Cena into one of WWE's biggest heels (as a face he already gets more heat than most actual heels). I sincerely hope they take it.
Verdict: John Cena will be walking away with the WWE Championship at Wrestlemania (perhaps not as cleanly as some people are expecting).




Wildcard prediction: Dolph Ziggler?

I have a strong feeling that Dolph Ziggler will be cashing in his briefcase at Wrestlemania, whether he wins or loses the tag team titles. If he wins and becomes Tag Team Champion with Big E as I have predicted, being the Show Off, Ziggler may just want Wrestlemania to be all about him. If Big E and Ziggy lose to Team Hell No, Dolph may still cash in to make sure people are talking about his success rather than his failure after Wrestlemania is over. Either way, I'm predicting the briefcase will be cashed in.



No comments:

Post a Comment